Search The Website
The 2019 Press Application Form will open in Late June 2019. Be sure to read over this entire page to see if your respective organization qualifies before applying. Accepted applications will go out by August 20th, 2019.
Thank you for your interest in attending San Japan as a member of the visiting press corp. Our Community Relations team is eager to help facilitate your visit and ensure that you have access to have a great convention experience.
You, or the organization that you represent, must fulfill the listed requirements in order to be issued credentials. These credentials will give you special seating at Main Events, access to the Press Room, and the opportunity to request interview time with our special guests.
All requests will be verified by our team. Please include any analytics or information that could help us make a decision.
Thank you again, and we’ll see you at the Convention.
S. David Ramirez
Community Relations Director
press (at) San-japan.org
PRESS PASS RULES & REQUIREMENTS
All reviews must cover multiple aspects of the convention.
All reviews must be published within 30 days at the conclusion of San Japan. All other media must be submitted within 35 days.
- Must be a Local, Regional or Nationally-Recognized print media outlet.
- Review must be posted within 7 days (newspaper) or 30 days (magazine) after the conclusion of the convention.
- Must have outlet issued credentials to prove authenticity.
Website / Blog / Video:
- The website must be its own domain and own web host. We do not accept WordPress.com, Tumblr, Wix.com, Webs.com or other similarly hosted subdomain pages as valid credentials.
- Website must show at least 3 updates per week for the past 6 months continuously.
- It must have a professional layout.
- It must show a visibly active community.
- All video must properly credit San Japan and post in the title screen or credits to www.san-japan.org
- Write-up reviews must be posted within 15 days of the convention, preferably under 10 days.
- You must link to at least two articles written in the past 2 months.
- Video reviews that are not a news segment must be at least 5 minutes.
- YouTube Channels and Websites must show that anime convention and/or fandom will be visibily covered as press. We will not approve Let’s Play Channels or Video Game Reviews if we do not see an active materials covering convention activities (cosplay/fashion count too).
- It must have a listener subscriber count of at least 400.
- It must do a podcast prior or during the convention with the topic being about San Japan for a majority of the podcast and a post-review podcast within 30 days of the convention, preferably under 15 days.
- Podcasts must be at least 12 minutes in reviewing our convention covering multiple aspects of the convention.
- Podcasts that only cover a few sections of San Japan will not be considered an acceptable review.
- The applicant must show proof of professional photographer credentials and link to portfolio. Previous example work at similar events is required.
- Portfolios must show a wide range of Convention photos. We will not approve Cosplay-Only Photographers.
- The photographer website should be family friendly, we will not link to sites with erotica or sexualized photos.
- The applicant be on-site for at least 5 hours per day for Friday & Saturday, preferably all 3 days of the convention.
- The applicant will allow San Japan to reproduce all photos for future promotion material.
- The applicant must submit photos within 30 days to the convention or link to download the pictures, preferably 15 days.
- They must submit at least 300 photos of a variety of events throughout the convention.
- Photographer logos can be applied but need to be less than 7.5% of the total photo.
We will no longer will issue press passes to the following:
- YouTube-only channels with less than 1000 subscribers. Vlog or CMV YouTube channels with a low number of subscribers will not be considered. YouTube Channels must be a YouTube Partner Program to qualify for a press badge at San Japan.
- Review websites or domains that direct to a Blogger, Tumblr, Blogspot or other sub-domain website. This includes domains that link to such sites.
- Personal review sites or personal blogs including WordPress.com, Blogger or Facebook Pages.
- Press credentials that is outside of the Texas/South region or isn’t nationally recognized.
- Podcasts with low subscriber count of under 400.
- Cosplay-Only Photographers whos portfolios only show Cosplay Photoshoots.
- Facebook Pages and Flickr Accounts may not be used either as a credential.
- Non-Professional/Non-Experienced Photographers who do not have verifiable credentials and/or professional portfolios.
- Prior approved press organizations who have not sent in requested media materials or take beyond 45 days to send in press materials at past San Japan conventions.
- Websites who write up shoddy pre-press publications and/or bare-mininum reviews.
- We will not approve photographers who charge at San Japan for photoshoots for a press badge.
- College/High School Students fulfilling a requirement for a course/personal projects; Journalism & Film Studies.
Number Of Press Passes Issued
- If it is your first time applying to San Japan the maximum number passes approved will be one. This is non-negotiable.
- Only one press pass will be issued to Photographers. San Japan will not issue press credentials for photographer assistants.
- Only up to two press passes are issued to websites if they are recording video of the convention with intent to post on your respective website and you’ve included your staff assistants on the application and you’ve proven to be a reliable source.
- We will only issue three passes to large visibly recognizable press organizations who have print runs of 25k or higher, nationally recognized websites which get 200k hits a day OR regional television stations seen by over 10k viewers.
We will no longer arrange interviews with our VIP guests. You must privately contact them to arrange an interview.
San Japan reserves the right to approve at the discretion of the Community Relations team. Decisions are made based on a variety of criteria including the amount of similar media outlets applying for access. The completion of this form does not guarantee placement at the convention. Any press accepted will be notified by email before the convention. We can not guarantee a timely response for those who have been rejected especially if the application is within 15 days prior to the convention. Frequently inquiring on the press approval status up to 15 days before the convention will be considered harassment and will have their applications denied. We will have all applications notified by August 20th, 2019..
Applications will be posted here by June 30th, 2019.