Lottery Sign-Up Details
This is how it will be handled in 2018 for Artist Alley Sign-Up
- The sign-up form will open on February 25th, 2018 at 5:30PM Central Time.
- Links to the sign-up form will be posted on this page and on our social channels.
- There is no cost to sign-up.
- There will a be a max cap of 775 entries.
- If we do not reach 775 entries then the form will close on February 25th, 2018 at 7:30PM Central Time.
- After the form has closed we will be spending several days to screen all applications to remove duplicates or entries who got in multiple times under false pretenses. We will be checking the IP addresses of the applications.
- Entries will be privately selected 48 hours later after the application form has closed via blind lottery based on their application entry number. We will be using a program that randomly selects the entries. A percentage of primarily 2D artists and primarily 3D artists will be selected. 155 applications total will be selected. We are not disclosing to the public how many entries of each type that we are selecting..
- We will be screening all randomly selected entries to ensure that the application passes our Rules & Guidelines and have an active Sales Tax ID. All applicants will still be required to have their Texas Sales Tax ID active by February 25th, 2018. All applicants will still be required to submit a gallery of their artwork or products for sale.
- Accepted artists will be contacted and invoiced by March 5th, 2018. Approved artists will have 12 days to pay for their invoices or they will be removed. We will send out a mass e-mail to applicants who did not make it in. We will not ‘reconsider’ an applicant who did not make it in. Berating the staff will have an effect on future applications.
- Artists who were affected by Hurricane Harvey in 2017: We will be in contact by July 2018 to transfer your table to our 2018 convention. We will verify by your address that you were in an affected location. Artists who did not attend in 2017 due to the gas shortage are not eligible for a 2018 transfer.
Additional Lottery Sign-Up Information
Please note: we are not enacting a full Jury system for selected applications. We are evaluating an artist based on adhering to the rules on having an Sales Tax ID, adhering to the San Japan Artist Alley contract, and requested fan art rules. We are not evaluating artists based on the quality of the artwork or products for sale to be within Artist Alley then selecting them.
- Once the form is full or closed on Feburary 25th, 2018 then that will be it.
- There is no waiting list at all after signup has closed. We will have more than enough entries to go through.
- All applications must submit a Gallery Link and VALID Texas Sales Tax ID Number.
- We will not e-mail an artist if there are issues with a submission. All artists will need look over their application for errors from the auto-response form. After that we will begin the jury process. After 48 hours, the information submitted is what we will be using on all publications. We will not fix any errors on misspelled artist names or incorrect URLs after 48 hours that the applications have closed. It is the responsibility of the artist applicant to check the auto-response form for errors.
- Strong Warning: Do NOT contact us after sign-up has closed on the status of your application. If you do inquire on the status of the application once the lottery has begun and when we are invoicing artists then we will have your application removed. We need to spend a lot of time sorting through the hundreds of applications so we cannot spend time answering status questions.
- An artist entry number on the list will be based on the timestamp from the server.
- Selected applications will still be screened and removed for the following reasons:
- Invalid Sales Tax ID.
- Inactive Sales Tax ID – It must be listed as ACTIVE on the Texas Comptroller Office website as of February 25th, 2018. No exceptions.
- Gallery links to Tumblr pages. Gallery links must be to Imgur, DeviantArt, or another photo format which allows us to see your art or products for sale. Etsy stores will be accepted. We will not accept photos of prior Artist Alley table setups as we need to see detail pics of products to be potentially for sale. We do not need to see all art or future artwork pieces, just a sizable sampling of what to anticipate at San Japan.
- Artists who show heavy disregard to copyright logos, trademarks, infringing products, “splatter art”, or disregard fandoms that have requested to not sell fan art in Artist Alley.
San Japan Artist Alley 2018 Information
2018 Artist Table Rate: $175
- Includes: (1) 6′ x 30″ Table in a 6′ x 3′ space + (1) 3-Day Artist Badge + 2 Chairs.
- Additional Artist Badges: $50 (max 3 additional badges – must be purchased by July 10th 2018, At-Con Rate is $75).
- There will be at least 5 feet behind the table.
- Table/Badge are good for all 3 days of the convention.
- An Artist Badge are valid for the entire convention just like a regular attendee badge.
- 2018 Form Date: Sunday February 25th, 2018 @ 5:30PM Central. We do not send out reminders.
- The forms for requested table assignment requests, additional artist badges, and table splits will open April 17th, 2018. The links will be posted on this page.
- Table requests do not guarantee a preferred placement. We will not guarantee placement for any reason whatsoever.
- Requests for refunds must be in by July 10th, 2018. In 2018 we will be only issuing 50% refunds after June 10th, 2018 up until July 10th, 2018 to deter last minute drop outs. After July 10th, 2018 there are no refunds at all at no exceptions given. We will not allow table transfers. REFUNDS ONLY.
- The approved list will be posted by April 16th, 2018. The assignment list will be going public by August 10th, 2018. Do not inquire on your location or layout before these dates.
- On Sales Tax ID: All we need is the number. We don’t require the actual document for the application. When you apply you will be issued a Tax ID which can be applied on the application. A Texas Comptroller agent was on-site for the past two years and we are expecting the agent to be on-site once again.
We will not be answering any questions on why an artist table was not approved or wasn’t selected. We listed above a majority of the reasons this may have happened but we will uphold all decision processes by San Japan staff. We will not be listing the approved list as we will be listing the final list of paid approved artists.
Rules: For a list of the 2018 rules & regulation for our Artist Alley, which will be live by February 15th, 2018. click here.
If you have questions about your Sales Tax ID beyond what is listed in this FAQ, you must
contact the Texas Comptroller’s Office
. We can not answer any further Sales Tax IDs questions since we are not the Comptroller’s Office.
We will be holding our yearly Art Contest starting in February 2018. This will be the only way artists who want to get an artist table who were unable to signup. We will be selecting 4 winners and 15 finalists. Art Contest winners will win a 12′ x 10′ booth within Artist Alley plus 4 Artist Badges, a $595 value. The booth arrangement will not be for sale to the general public.