Search The Website
All winning Art Contest entries will receive a 10′ x 12′ booth along with 4 Artist Alley badges. This will be 4 6′ tables. It maybe divided up to allow a friend or colleague to sell there too. This will have a retail value of $595. The art contest will be the only way to obtain this kind of booth within Artist Alley.
T-Shirt art entries must be in by May 20th, 2018. The Mega Art contest will end on June 1st, 2018 at 11:59PM CST.
There will be two art contests this year. One art contest is strictly for the T-Shirt contest and another for the Mega Art Contest. Both contests will have TWO winners selected. If you would like to see people wearing your artwork as a badge or be on front cover of the program book or our schedule guide then you’ll want to enter the Mega Art Contest. If you would like your graphic artwork to be used to on our shirt then you’ll want to enter the T-Shirt Contest. We do make yearly changes to the rules and guidelines so please read over them in detail.
Mega Art Contest Winner T-Shirt Art Contest
Theme: This year’s theme is Magical Universe. This is up to the artist interpretation if they want to go with a Magical Girl, Magical Theme, Or Magical Elements. We would request that not everyone submit in Magical Girl artwork as we are looking for diversity. It does not necessarily mean it needs to be certain style. The setting and background is up to the artist.
T-Shirt Contest Winning Entry
T-Shirt Contest Winning Entry
2017 T-Shirt winning art contest entry by Rey Triangle Art and Tori S.
Here are the rules & guidelines for the T-Shirt Contest (rules written up by our T-Shirt Printer):
- Create your design using a vector art program like Adobe Illustrator (HIGHLY PREFERRED).
Create your design using a raster program like Adobe Photoshop.
- Hand drawing the sketch on paper then coloring in Photoshop or Illustrator is perfectly allowed.
- We are looking for artwork with layers to allow us to edit what is necessary.
- If you are designing with a raster program, make sure your canvas size is 12″ x 15″, and 300 dpi (pixels per inch).
- Use a minimum line width of 5 pixels.
- If your design contains gradients, you must convert them to halftones. Make them 1 to 30 LPI (lines per inch).
- Each dot that makes up your halftone must be one solid color.
- If you are designing with a vector program, make sure the canvas is at least 4″ x 5″.
- Use a minimum line width of 1 point.
- If your design contains gradients, your gradients must have a minimum 15% dot in all colors. We’ll create the halftones.
- Your fonts should be expanded or outlined in your final version.
- Save all final vector files as an EPS or AI file.
Use a maximum of 4 colors. This includes black and white. (If we print on dark shirts, we’ll add an underbase. A base is separate from white, and NOT counted in the artist’s maximum 4 colors.) Note: if you plan to present your design on a black t-shirt, you can use the t-shirt’s color as your black line; therefore it doesn’t count as one of your max 4 colors. Colors should be Pantone Solid Coated. RGB.
T-shirt Color: Although Black t-shirts are King, you may choose a t-shirt color that best suits your design from the following: Ash, Black, Deep Forest Green, Deep Red, Deep Royal, Gold, Light Blue, Light Steel, Maroon, Navy, Orange, Purple, White, or Yellow.
Step Two: Please save a copy of your design as a GIF, JPG or PNG (preferred). We require to have all layers in tact. Do not flatten your image when in the form of PSD, PDF or EPS.
The two winning entries will each receive a 10′ x 12′ booth within Artist Alley table with four Artist Alley badges ($595 value). All T-shirt entries that are not selected for first place will be automatically rolled over into the MEGA Art Contest. The winning artist table is non-transferable and the winning artist (or their selected helper) must be present at the convention as we will not allow the selected artist to sell through proxy sales.
Mega Art Contest Winning Entry
2017 Mega Art Contest Winners by skim and onemegawatt
Mega Art Contest
Here are the rules & guidelines for the Mega Art Contest:
- For the Mega Art Contest, the entry may have as many colors as you’d like and no restriction on the background.
- Mega Art Entries must be digital; traditional art submissions (i.e hand-drawn art and sketchbooks) will not be accepted. To Clarify: Hand drawing the sketch on paper then coloring in Photoshop or Illustrator is perfectly allowed.
- Mega Art Entries relate to this year’s theme of Magical Universe. There is no restriction on the art style for the 2018 contest.
Prizes for Mega Art Contest
- Two Winners Selected: Art used on Program Book Cover and on the Schedule Guide Cover. Each winning artist will be awarded a 10′ x 12′ booth within Artist Alley with four Artist badges (good for all 3 days of the convention) for San Japan XI ($595 Value) [WINNER MAY REQUEST A SUBSTITUTE PRIZE BUT IT WILL BE LESS THAN HALF OF THE RETAIL COST OF A BOOTH]. The winning artist booths are non-transferable and the winning artist must be present at the convention as we will not allow the selected winners to sell through proxy sales. The booth may be split with a friend or colleague.
We also will be selecting up to 15 entries from both contests as FINALISTS. These art pieces will be used for our different badge designs and event tickets for attendees along with staff badges.
If multiple entries are submitted by an artist then we reserve the right to select and use the multiple entries for badge materials. We will only be issuing one table and one badge even if multiple entries by one artist is used.
The prize for all finalists will be the chance to purchase an Artist Alley table and it will include one additional Artist Alley badge at the discount rate of $50 total (a discount from $230). Even if you only need one artist badge it will still be $50. Finalists must be present at the convention to redeem their table as we will not allow proxy winners. There will not be any table transfers or refunds to finalists. All finalists and winners will still need to have a Texas State Tax ID # in order to obtain a table. NO EXCEPTIONS WILL BE GIVEN.
A link will be sent to all finalists by no later than June 25th, 2018 after the winners have been selected. If the artist finalist has already purchased an artist table then they will be issued a refund of an upward of $175 ($125 if only purchased a table and no additional badges). If a finalist artist does not want to purchase a table then they will be offered a discount code for two complimentary badge/passes to the convention. No other compensation will be given to artists if they decline on a complimentary badge.
This will be the only way artists who want to get an artist table at San Japan after Artist Alley table availability has closed in late February 2018.
This is what we request for all entries
Upon submitting your entry, the artists agrees on the following:
- We reserve the right to decide for each entry if it should be in the Mega Art Contest or in the T-Shirt contest. This means that if you submit your art to the Mega Art Contest, you could win the T-Shirt contest and vice-versa (this has happened in the past!).
- We reserve the right to use any art submissions for own promotional and media purposes until the end of San Japan XI (2018). We will contact the artist to ask for permission for any further use of the artwork. All art entries after the San Japan 2018 convention reverts back to the art creator and which may be used at the discretion of the artist.
- Artists will be credited in our print and promotional materials if the artwork is used for promotional purposes.
- If an art piece is selected to be sold as merchandise then we will privately contact the artist for compensation by exchange or momentary compensation.
Submissions for the T-Shirt contest must be made by May 20th, 2018 by 11:59PM. Submissions for the Mega Art must be made by June 1st, 2018 at 11:59PM.
- There will not be a limit to the number of entries you may submit to all of the contests. Limit one 1st place winner (we won’t allow one person to win two Artist Alley booths and a pre-reg badge).
- If the winner of either contest has already purchased an Artist Alley table then they will get a full refund of $175 for their table and an additional $50 refund if purchased an additional Artist badge.
- Prior year winners of either contest will no longer be able to win a second year in a row. They may submit art for the other art contest that they did not win. This is to allow new artists to have a chance to win. Finalists in previous year contests are still eligible to enter.
- Finalists who’ve already purchased an artist table will not be eligble to purchase an additional table. They will only receive a partial refund for their purchased table.
If you have any questions then fill out the form on our contact page.
You are not required to pre-register for San Japan in order to submit an entry. We will be posting the winners a few days after both contests closed. We do not have an exact time or date on that announcement. Please do not nag us to make a decision as we may need up to two weeks to make a decision.