Search The Website
We are looking for a few good people to join the San Japan staff. If you’re willing to show some serious dedication to the convention then get in touch with us. Below are some of the positions that are available but if you think you have a special skill set that you’re willing to offer to San Japan then let us know.
Current Open Staff Positions:
Regional Street Team Managers
– Getting postcards and posters distributed then refilled in Austin, San Antonio, San Marcos and out to Houston/DFW.
– Managers assigned to watch over panel room sections, ensure panels start on time, and report into Tech Dispatch for issues.
Safety Zone Managers
– Managers assigned to sections by the Safety Director to ensure the safety of attendees. Ensure attendees are abiding by San Japan/Venue/City Rules.
San Japan Open Call for Department Help:
– We are needing people who can help with setup within panel rooms and help troubleshoot audio/visual equipment. Must be able to problem solve technical issues w/o assistance in a timely manner. Will be need to be on-site at least 8 hours a day for 4 days. Will need to be able to work independent but will need to be on-call at all times when on shift. Experience with PCs & Mac hardware, Windows XP/Windows 7/8/10 software, sound boards, and projectors are a big plus. Confident applicants only, please.
Load In/Load Out Crew Helper
– Will need to be to work 8-12 hours on Wednesday and Thursday to load in San Japan then Sunday through Monday night to load out San Japan. It is greatly helpful to be able to lift 40-60lbs in hot environments. We are looking for people who have good physical endurance. Food and drinks will be provided while on-duty.
Event Safety Helper
– Patrol designated convention space at San Japan to ensure the safety of San Japan attendees. Report convention attendee issues or rule violation. Ensure attendees are not breaking fire code violations of blocking entrances or in designated lines. Report all medical and needed law enforcement intervention. LONG HOURS will be expected from this department as this department will be running for 4 days straight.
– Ensure attendees of all panels have a convention badge. Let panelists know if they need to wrap it up. Point attendees to the correct line to enter to wait for the room then let them in up until the room has filled capacity. Ensure all attendees who have Gold Pass or SJ-CARES ribbon given entry entrance. Call in if tech support or panel issues arise for the panel room.
– The CR team takes care of public relations, media relations, and various customer service functions. This is an opportunity for individuals to gain real-world experience in Communication. Spots available for internships for those willing to do work before and after the con. Candidates should have an academic background in Communications, Public Relations Marketing, Technical/Professional Writing, or similar disciplines.
Photographers / Videographers
– San Japan is looking for a few willing and able photographers and videographers to help us capture the convention and share all the fun we have. We do need photographers that can put in at least 12 hours a day over 3 days. Must have a portfolio. For a longer list of requirements here is a list of what we’re looking for
– San Japan is looking for people who are familiar with the facilities with our venues to help with directions. Must have great customer service abilities to handle the multitude of questions.
You will be expected to work 9-14 hours a day during the entire convention (Thur.-Mon. of the convention, possibly on Wednesday) depending on your position with a very high expectation to be reliable and the means to handle stressful situations. Prior volunteer fandom experience is highly preferred. We are looking for experienced individuals.
Hotel Crash Space, work directly with main staff, volunteer badge, access to a big post-convention event on Sunday evening, food vouchers, and knowing that you’re working hard for a fantastic group of people who try to put on a great fan convention in San Antonio and all of the attendees. You will be expected to work longer shifts than a general volunteer.
Be sure to list your work/job experiences including conventions that you’ve worked for when applying for the position and any possible references. This will greatly help us when making a consideration to join us.