Search The Website
Here are some of the general rules for San Japan including events, badge rules, dress code, lining up for events, dance and other policies. Please read over these carefully. If you have any questions about Cosplay Props, click here for those rules.
Click For A Section: General Rules & Behavior Guidelines | Prop and Weapon Rules | Dress Code | Dance/Electronic Music Rules | Event and Line Rules | 18+ Panels
San Japan General Rules & Behavior Guidelines
Violation or ignorance of the following rules can result in revoked badges or expulsion from the convention.
- A valid badge must be purchased and worn openly at all times. Persons who do not have a badge displayed on the convention floor will be asked to leave. Any person without a valid badge will not be permitted entry into events or vendor spaces.
- Only ADA working animals with proper verification are allowed in the Henry B Gonzalez Convention Center. The Grand Hyatt is a pet-friendly hotel. Cats and dogs under 50lbs will be permitted in the hotel with permission from hotel staff. There is a $100 charge for pets to stay in guest rooms at the Grand Hyatt.
- No alcohol or drugs are permitted in convention spaces at any time. Guests under the influence of alcohol or drugs will be asked to return to their rooms. Refusal to return to your room may result in action by the San Antonio Police Department.
- Shoes must be worn at all times in convention spaces. “Barefoot” cosplays must wear shoes or non open-toe lyricals, however they may be removed for photographs.
- No sleeping is permitted in any convention spaces including lobbies, hallways, vendor spaces, and gaming.
- While waiting for an event, form a single-file orderly line under the direction of convention volunteers. Cosplayers taking pictures are encouraged to move to the side of the hallway or find an open space where they will not impede the flow of traffic. Sitting against hallway walls is not permitted at any time.
- Follow all convention staff, convention volunteer, hotel staff and convention center staff instructions. Treat staff and volunteers with respect and courtesy. If a problem arises with a convention volunteer, seek out Safety and report the issue immediately.
- Do not move or tamper with hotel property or equipment including lobby chairs, couches, curtains, doors, windows, etc. Do not move or tamper with convention property including tables, microphones, video equipment, etc. If you require assistance with convention or hotel property, ask a convention staff member.
- Do not affix signs, posters, banners or anything else to walls, doors, windows or floors in the convention space.
- Mistreatment of other guests is prohibited. Complaints of harassment, stalking, bullying and mobbing will be investigated and may result in expulsion from the convention. San Japan has a zero tolerance policy for sexual harassment and discrimination.
- Locals, tourists, and others not involved in the convention will naturally be curious about the convention and its attendees. Treat these individuals with courtesy and respect. Our convention has an excellent reputation in the city of San Antonio because of our excellent attendees.
Prop and Weapon Rules
San Japan Dress Code
- San Japan is a family-friendly convention. Excessively revealing clothing or costumes are not permitted. Private areas must be covered with opaque cloth at all times. Guests in excessively revealing attire will be asked to change
- Convention spaces have a “no shirt, no shoes, no service” policy. Because of this, shirts and shoes must be worn at all times and may only be removed for photographs.
- No profanity or graphic sexual imagery may be displayed on costumes or clothing.
Dance/Electronic Music Rules
- No alcohol or drugs are permitted in the dance at any time.
- Handbags are subject to search, and bags larger than a handbag are not permitted inside dance spaces. San Japan will not ‘watch’ or store your bags. All bags left at the entrance may be confiscated and potentially discarded. There are no storage lockers at the Main Stage location. Please make prior arrangements before attending.
- Staff will not watch over bags, jackets, or other loose items you do not wish to bring to the dance floor. San Japan assumes no responsibility for lost or stolen property.
- Open bottles and open cups are not permitted into Main Stage. Only sealed bottles will be allowed.
- Staff may initiate a voluntary search for alcohol or drugs at any time. Discovery of alcohol or drugs will be handed over to authorities who will be on-site. Attempts to sneak them into the dance will have your convention badge revoked and removal from the convention without refund.
- Stringing is allowed only in designated areas. Do not string close to other stringers. Unsafe situations may result in loss of the stringing area and stringing privileges.
- No bulky cosplay or large props are allowed in the dance space.
- Shoes must be worn at all times in the dance space.
- There is a zero-harassment policy enforced (do not grind on people who do not consent to it). There will not be a warning given. There will be an immediate expulsion from the dance with the convention badge revoked if you attempting sneak back in with a police escort off the premises.
- Attendees are not allowed on stage and must be behind the barriers unless escorted by convention staff to restricted stage areas.
- Attendees are not allowed to jump off the stage.
Event and Line Rules
- Keep lines single-file, and stay close to walls/barricades.
- Do not block doorways with the line.
- No cutting under any circumstances. Friends may not save your spot in line for you.
- Occasionally, staff needs to speak loudly enough that the entire line hears the instructions. Event volunteers are not yelling at you.
- For events with seats, completely fill in all seats and do not leave any empty seats. You may not be able to sit next to all members of your party.
- Event specific rules will be announced at the start of the event. Please listen carefully to all event rules.
- Staff reserves the right to ask any attendee to leave if they are being disruptive or not following the rules. Attendees that do not listen to staff instructions may be expelled from the convention without refund.
18+ Panels Events Rules
- Everyone entering an 18+ panel must have a government-issued ID with their photo on it. This includes Drivers License, Miltary ID, Passport or Texas State ID. An expired ID is okay as long as it as your current birthday and your photo is on it.
- We do not accept: Social Security Cards, School IDs or temporary Drivers License papers. No exceptions.
- Everyone enter must be at least 18 years old. No children allowed in at all even if under 1 year old.
- We do not allow Guardians or Parents to bring in their child at all for any reason whatsoever. No Exceptions.
- You must be at least 18 years old at the start of the day in order to enter a panel.
- If you can’t or will not show ID then you’re not allowed in at all even if you look 60.