Search The Website
For information on how to pickup Formal Dance tickets at the convention if you missed the deadline for online registration of this event then please click here for the Event Tickets Page.
Masquerade Ball Online Tickets are at the bottom of this page
- Event Location: Marriott Riverwalk Hotel
- Alamo Ballroom (2nd Floor)
- Across the street from the San Antonio Grand Hyatt / Henry B. Gonzalez Convention Center.
- Date: Friday, September 2nd, 2016
- Doors Open: 8:00PM
- Start Time: 8:30PM
- End Time: 11:30PM
- THEME: The Fifth Element
The 2016 Formal Masquerade Dance will be a ticketed event. We have made some new changes starting in 2016 which are listed below the dress code.
Theme Specific Notes:
This year’s theme nods to the 90’s sci-fi classic “The Fifth Element”. While a variety of costumes are seen in the film the masquerade maintains its formal dress code. Consider clothing appropriate for a luxury spaceliner, not the shreds worn by Mangalores. Sponsored in part by by the Zorg Corporation.
The Masked ball is a formal dance event. All attendees must present a valid convention badge in order to enter this event. All clothing must adhere to standards of style and grooming. To keep the formal and mature atmosphere we also enforce a 13+ age limit
at this event.
Formal Dance Dress Code
Acceptable attire for women:
- Dresses must be mid-knee length to floor length.
- Dresses should not be too revealing (low cut, slits that are too high, mid-drift, etc.).
- High-low dresses will be allowed as long as the highest part of the dress is at least knee length.
- Pant suits are allowed.
- Lolita style fashion, traditional eastern dress, and steampunk attire is allowed so long as it adheres to the above mentioned rules.
- Attire should not be overly see-through. All garments with translucent elements should have at least the minimum coverage required by San Japan cosplay rules.
- Appropriately formal footwear should be worn. Sandals are not allowed. Open-toed shoes should be worn with caution.
Examples of acceptable attire for women:
Acceptable Attire for men:
- Tuxedos and suits are highly encouraged.
- Vests, sports coats are also acceptable.
- Dress shirts and ties are required.
- Ethnic dress and steampunk attire will be allowed so long as they adhere to the above mentioned rules.
- Polo shirts, khakis, and t-shirts will not be permitted.
- Jeans of any color or type will NOT be allowed into the room.
- Appropriately formal footwear should be worn. Please greatly refrain from tennis shoes or sneakers. Don’t be THAT guy as we put a ban on them if too many show up in sneakers.
Examples of acceptable attire for men:
Acceptable shoes for men and women:
- Masks must be worn at all times.
- You must have a mask to enter the ball.
- Masks may be painted on but should be of quality and style appropriate to a formal occasion. Slapdash or messy masks may be turned away at the door.
- Masks on a stick will be acceptable for those with glasses.
- Unacceptable masks include: Monster or Halloween style masks, Military masks (gas masks or tactical gear, etc.), Luchador or other wrestling style masks, comic or anime character masks, or helmets.
Acceptable masks for women:
Acceptable masks for men:
Cosplay and Props:
- Cosplay will be allowed as long as it adheres to all masquerade attire rules.
- Excessively large headwear, wigs, or hats may be turned away at the door.
- Cosplays must be formal in nature.
- Props longer than arms length are not allowed in.
- No weapons of any sort will be permitted into the ball.
- Wigs will be allowed so long as they are neat and tidy.
- Please arrive well-groomed and appropriately hygienic for interacting at a social dance.
- Deodorant is recommended, please be aware that the ballroom may become extremely warm when at capacity.
- Body spray, perfume, cologne, or other scents should be used sparingly. Excessive use of these products may prevent your admission to the event.
- Press will be allowed entry into the ball.
- Must have appropriate “Press Badge” to be allowed entry.
- Press do not have to be dressed in formal attire but should dress as to appear unobtrusive.
Masquerade Ticketing Policy
Online tickets will go on sale on this page starting on June 15th and end on August 25th or until 200 tickets have been sold.
This year’s Formal Masquerade will help support the mission of San Japan Charitable Endeavors by contributing to our charities of choice for 2016
. We’re excited to be able to support local charities who strive to make San Antonio a better place.
We will be issuing a maximum of 750 tickets for the event.
Ticket Early Availability
200 tickets will be available on the San Japan website for a $5 contribution. San Japan will absorb the 45-cent processing fee and 100% of each ticket will go directly to our charities of choice for 2016. Ticket pickup from online purchase will be available at the formal dance.
Gold Pass Availability
Individuals in possession of a gold pass will be able to pick up their tickets, along with their other gold pass perks, during regular registration check-in. No additional fee is necessary. Your gold pass purchases assist San Japan in obtaining special items for the charity auction, and; as such, you will not be required to contribute additional funds.
On-Site Tickets – Pick your price
Leftover tickets from pre-sale, plus an additional 350 tickets, will be available during the convention. Attendees may “pick their price” for tickets. A contribution of $5 is recommended and a minimum of $1 is strongly encouraged. Attendees are encouraged to pick up tickets early as they are likely to have all on-site tickets distributed.
The tentative time for on-site tickets will be Friday (09/02/16) at 3:00PM. The location for pickup within the convention will be announced closer to the convention date.
At-the-door Tickets – Pick your price
A minimum of 50 tickets, plus any leftover from on-site pick-up, will be available at the door for “pick your price”. A contribution of $5 is recommended and a minimum of $1 is strongly encouraged.
Scalping or Resale of Tickets
Anyone found to be scalping or reselling tickets will have tickets in their possession voided. In addition, depending on severity, scalper’s convention badges will be revoked and they will be asked to leave the event.
Formal Dance Online Ticket Purchase