Search The Website
We are change the winning prize this year. All winning Art Contest entries will recieve a 10′ x 12′ booth along with 4 Artist Alley badges. This will be 4 6′ tables. It maybe divided up to allow a friend or colleague to sell there too. This will have a retail value of $495. The art contest will be the only way to obtain this kind of booth within Artist Alley.
T-Shirt art entries must be in by May 20th, 2017. The Mega Art contest will end on June 1st, 2017 at 11:59PM CST. 2017 Submissions are now open
There will be two art contests this year. One art contest is strictly for the T-Shirt contest and another for the Mega Art Contest. Both contests will have TWO winners selected. If you would like to see people wearing your artwork as a badge or be on front cover of the program book or our pocket guide then you’ll want to enter the Mega Art Contest. If you would like your graphic artwork to be used to on our shirt then you’ll want to enter the T-Shirt Contest. We do make yearly changes to the rules and guidelines so please read over them in detail.
Mega Art Contest T-Shirt Art Contest
Theme: This year’s theme is RPG/Adventure. This is up to the artist interpretation if they want to go with a RPG, fantasy or adventure series from an anime or video game. We would request that not everyone submit in Final Fantasy artwork as we are looking for diversity. It does not necessarily mean it needs to be certain style. The setting and background is up to the artist.
T-Shirt Contest Winner
Last year’s T-Shirt winning art contest entry by Rey M.
Here are the rules & guidelines for the T-Shirt Contest (rules written up by our T-Shirt Printer):
- Create your design using a vector art program like Adobe Illustrator (HIGHLY PREFERRED).
Create your design using a raster program like Adobe Photoshop.
- Hand drawing the sketch on paper then coloring in Photoshop or Illustrator is perfectly allowed.
- We are looking for artwork with layers to allow us to edit what is necessary.
- If you are designing with a raster program, make sure your canvas size is 12″ x 15″, and 300 dpi (pixels per inch).
- Use a minimum line width of 5 pixels.
- If your design contains gradients, you must convert them to halftones. Make them 1 to 30 LPI (lines per inch).
- Each dot that makes up your halftone must be one solid color.
- If you are designing with a vector program, make sure the canvas is at least 4″ x 5″.
- Use a minimum line width of 1 point.
- If your design contains gradients, your gradients must have a minimum 15% dot in all colors. We’ll create the halftones.
- Your fonts should be expanded or outlined in your final version.
- Save all final vector files as an EPS or AI file.
Use a maximum of 4 colors. This includes black and white. (If we print on dark shirts, we’ll add an underbase. A base is separate from white, and NOT counted in the artist’s maximum 4 colors.) Note: if you plan to present your design on a black t-shirt, you can use the t-shirt’s color as your black line; therefore it doesn’t count as one of your max 4 colors. Colors should be Pantone Solid Coated. RGB.
T-shirt Color: Although Black t-shirts are King, you may choose a t-shirt color that best suits your design from the following: Ash, Black, Deep Forest Green, Deep Red, Deep Royal, Gold, Light Blue, Light Steel, Maroon, Navy, Orange, Purple, White, or Yellow.
Step Two: Please save a copy of your design as a GIF, JPG or PNG (preferred). We’ll give an option to submit your high resolution artwork but if selected we will ask for it. Please make sure your high resolution artwork has all layers in tact. Do not flatten your image when in the form of PSD, PDF or EPS.
The two winning entries will each receive a 10′ x 12′ booth within Artist Alley table with four Artist Alley badges ($495 value). All T-shirt entries that are not selected for first place will be automatically rolled over into the MEGA Art Contest. The winning artist table is non-transferable and the winning artist must be present at the convention as we will not allow the selected artist to sell through proxy sales.
Mega Art Contest Winner
Mega Art Contest Winner
Last Year’s 2016 Mega Art Contest Winners by Allyssinian and Ponnchi.
Mega Art Contest
Here are the rules & guidelines for the Mega Art Contest:
- For the Mega Art Contest, the entry may have as many colors as you’d like and no restriction on the background.
- Mega Art Entries must be digital; traditional art submissions (i.e hand-drawn art and sketchbooks) will not be accepted. To Clarify: Hand drawing the sketch on paper then coloring in Photoshop or Illustrator is perfectly allowed.
- Mega Art Entries relate to this year’s theme of RPG/Adventure. There is no restriction on the art style for the 2017 contest.
Prizes for Mega Art Contest
- Two Winners Selected: Art used on Program Book Cover and on the Pocket Guide Cover. Each winning artist will be awarded a 10′ x 12′ booth within Artist Alley with four Artist badges (good for all 3 days of the convention) for San Japan X ($495 Value) [WINNER MAY REQUEST A SUBSTITUTE PRIZE BUT IT WILL BE AT HALF OF THE RETAIL COST OF A BOOTH]. The winning artist booths are non-transferable and the winning artist must be present at the convention as we will not allow the selected winners to sell through proxy sales. The booth may be split with a friend or colleague.
Instead of a 2nd-8th place like prior contests, we will be selecting up to 15 entries as FINALISTS. These art pieces will be used for our different badge designs for attendees and staff.
If multiple entries are submitted by an artist then we reserve the right to select and use the multiple entries for badge materials. We will only be issuing one table and one badge even if multiple entries by one artist is used.
The prize for all finalists will be the chance to purchase an Artist Alley table and it will include one additional Artist Alley badge at the discount rate of $50 total (a discount from $205). Even if you only need one artist badge it will still be $50. Finalists must be present at the convention to redeem their table as we will not allow proxy winners. There will not be any table transfers or refunds to finalists. All finalists and winners will still need to have a Texas State Tax ID # in order to obtain a table. NO EXCEPTIONS WILL BE GIVEN.
A link will be sent to all finalists by no later than June 25th, 2017 after the winners have been selected. If the artist finalist has already purchased an artist table then they will be issued a refund of an upward of $155 ($105 if only purchased a table and no additional badges). If a finalist artist does not want to purchase a table then they will be offered a discount code for a complimentary badge/pass to the convention. No other compensation will be given to artists if they decline on a complimentary badge.
This will be the only way artists who want to get an artist table at San Japan after Artist Alley table availability has closed in February 2017.
This is what we request for all entries
- While we will encourage our female mascot Sana and the chibis to be utilized this year we are preferably looking for ANY type of artwork. There is no limit on the number of subjects that can be in the art piece. RPG, Adventure, and Fantasy original artwork will be encouraged. The design needs to show some influence from Japanese art style if at all possible. We are leaving it up to the artist to come up with the design. If you need some inspiration, be sure to look over previous entries from 2009 – 2016 galleries.
- We will accept fan art submissions based on a well-known anime, manga and video game series. Do not list the title of the series or characters anywhere in the artwork so that we do not get in trouble from the respective copyright holder. Artist creativity and interpretation is highly encouraged. It does not need to be based on Final Fantasy.
- Fan submissions may not be a tracing that is directly lifted from an anime, manga scene or lifted from a video game cutscene even if the character design is modified to be original. Any entries discovered to be a tracing will be disqualified and the artist will be banned to enter future contests.
- If you want to submit your own original work it will be considered as long as it is in an anime/manga style or other non-traditional art styles that are not common in Western style comic art.
- ALL artwork submitted must be G or PG rated. Nothing overtly risque or offensive. Clothing must cover key areas. No suggestive posing or violent scenes.
- The template for the 2017 attendee badge template has not been decided.
- All submissions must have layers left in. Do not flatten your image. Submitted art needs to be in EPS or AI [T-shirt contest preferred], TIF or PSD/Photoshop format [Mega Art contest preferred]. If submitting a JPG/PNG file, let us know if you have an EPS/PSD/PDF (Photoshop/Illustrator) file available so that we can ask for it if your entry is selected. The submission can be made in any digital program as long as it can be exported in EPS/PSD/TIF or PDF format.
- Please make sure the picture is high-resolution at 300DPI. Please be at minimum 1000 x 1500 pixels if at all possible for MEGA Art entries. Bigger is better. The preferred canvas size for T-Shirt entries is 12″ x 15″.
- At this time we do not have a selected font for San Japan X. Please ensure the font is a layer and is not integrated or drawn into the artwork as we may need to move or reposition the text for both Art Contests.
- There is no limit on the number of entries you may submit for the contest but only one winning entry entered will be selected for either contest.
Upon submitting your entry, the artists agrees on the following:
- We reserve the right to decide for each entry if it should be in the Mega Art Contest or in the T-Shirt contest. This means that if you submit your art to the Mega Art Contest, you could win the T-Shirt contest and vice-versa.
- We reserve the right to use any art submissions for own promotional and media purposes until the end of San Japan X (2017). We will contact the artist to ask for permission for any further use of the artwork. All art entries after the San Japan 2017 convention reverts back to the art creator and which may be used at the discretion of the artist.
- Artists will be credited in our print and promotional materials if the artwork is used for promotional purposes.
- If an art piece is selected to be sold as merchandise then we will privately contact the artist for compensation by exchange or momentary compensation.
Submissions for the T-Shirt contest must be made by May 20th, 2017 by 11:59PM. Submissions for the Mega Art must be made by June 1st, 2017 at 11:59PM.
- There will not be a limit to the number of entries you may submit to all of the contests. Limit one 1st place winner (we won’t allow one person to win two Artist Alley booths and a pre-reg badge).
- If the winner of either contest has already purchased an Artist Alley table then they will get a full refund of $155 for their table and an additional $50 refund if purchased an additional Artist badge.
- UPDATE RULE: Prior year winners of either contest will no longer be able to win a second year in a row. They may submit art for the other art contest that they did not win. This is to allow new artists to have a chance to win.
If you have any questions then fill out the form on our contact page.
You are not required to pre-register for San Japan in order to submit an entry. We will be posting the winners a few days after both contests closed. We do not have an exact time or date on that announcement.